Book Your VW Campervan Holiday Experience
Book Your VW Campervan Holiday Experience

Enter Your Email to Receive Your Top 10 Campervan Hire Tips

Send me my guide & VW Camper Hire offers. Do not send me further VW Camper Hire offers/updates.


What are your hours of business?

We are open 9.00am - 4.00pm Monday & Fridays.

Are your Retro VW Campervans reliable?

Of course! The restoration work included a complete overhaul of the engines and all mechanical and electrical systems.

We fully service the vans regularly throughout the year, and give them a thorough going over every time they're returned to us. 'Classic' doesn't mean 'falling apart'! And these lovely vans were built to last, it's part of their charm.

Can I come and have a look?

That'd be lovely, we like showing our vans off. Best call first to make an appointment though just in case no one's about.

If you haven't already you can view our vans online here.

Can I leave my car with you?

That'd be absolutely fine - we keep one customer parking space per hire. Customer cars are parked in our car parking area at their own risk. Our Southampton Depot has CCTV cameras.

Can I hire with a non-UK License?

All licenses issued in a member country of the European Union, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Canada, United States Of America, Australia or New Zealand are fine to drive our campervans. If you have license issued in another country then just let us know and we can usually get it approved by our Self Drive Hire insurance provider.

Is mileage really unlimited?

Every single van has unlimited mileage so unlike other local campervan companies we don't have any mileage limits on any of our vans.

Are there hidden costs?

Absolutely not! The basic hire price includes everything you need (insurance, full inventory, gas, hook up etc...) to head off on your adventure. Watch out for companies adding expensive cleaning charges or even charging you for the paint option on the campervan!

How old do I have to be to hire a camper van from you?

We're sorry to say that you have to be 25 and less than 75 and have held a full driving licence for two years to drive our campers. It's not us - it's a requirement of the insurance.

Can we have more than one person listed as a driver?

Sure! Up to three drivers can be listed, although because the cost of insurance goes up, you'll have to pay a little extra for the additional drivers - £8.00 each a day.

I've got a few points on my licence. Is that going to be a problem?

That depends on the nature of the endorsement. Give us a call and we can talk about it. Maximum of two 3 point speeding fines/other minor offences and have had no more than one at fault accident in three years. Anything else cannot be covered by insurance and therefore the hire cannot proceed.

Can we take the camper van overseas?

Yes thats absolutely fine for our modern campervans but sadly, it's a no for our lovely T2 retro campervans. Our retro campervans are beautiful examples of this style of van, and the best way to keep them in the best possible nick is to avoid putting them through too much wear and tear.

Buddy, Dexter, Rosie, Freddie & Sydney are the only campervans available for a European trip and our minimum hire period to take a campervan abroad is 7 days.

European insurance cover is an additional £20 per day per campervan.

Do you need a booking deposit?

You do indeed. There's a non-refundable booking deposit of £150.00 payable before a booking can be confirmed, and the balance of the charges is then due at least 6 weeks before you're due to hire from us.

Do I need to pay a security deposit?

Yes a security deposit for the amount shown below is payable electronically before the collection of the vehicle. Provided you bring the van back on time, clean, in the same condition as it left and with a full tank of fuel, this will be refunded within 7 days. The late charge is £100 per hour.

25-75 Years Old
UK Hire and Residency European Hire / Non UK Residency
£750 £1,000

How do I go about booking one of your vans?

We have a simple to use online booking system so firstly just check availability, click on Book Now for the required date and campervan, register as a new customer, choose any extras you require, apply any discount code applicable, complete main driver details and choose payment option to complete your campervan booking.

Can I book additional days to your hire periods?

Its more difficult in the peak season but we may be able to help during quieter periods. Drop us an email and we can see what we can do!

Do you offer gift vouchers?

Yes we do. To buy one go to our Gift Voucher Page

What documents do I need to provide?

  • We need to see a card driving licence for each driver and TWO secondary address IDs that match the address on the licence - i.e. utility bill, council tax statement or bank/credit card/mortgage statements dated within 3 months of the hire date. For secondary address IDs most customers download their latest statement from their online accounts for utilities or banks which is really easy!
  • As the paper counterpart licence is no longer valid UK licence holders need to also supply a DVLA licence summary form which shows any points and endorsements on the licence. You can download this from the DVLA website.
  • If you have a paper licence only, issued before 1998, we also need to see your passport.
  • If travelling to Europe we need to see your passport also.

What about insurance?

Comprehensive motor insurance is included in the basic price, for your and our peace of mind. If you are unfortunate enough to be in an accident, you'll have to pay the policy excess which is £750 UK or £1,000 European. View our full insurance details

Is my personal property included in that insurance cover?

Afraid not. If we did that the cost would go through the roof and right now we're nice and affordable! Fortunately, it's a lot cheaper for you to arrange your own travel insurance - in fact we recommend that you do for peace of mind. Just be sure to check the small print for the amount they'll pay out, just in case! Not all cheap insurance is a bargain...

How do you feel about dogs?

We love dogs - we have plenty of our own! Just make sure they are well behaved and they don't eat the seats!! Our dog friendly vans are Daisy, Gertie, Buddy, Sydney, Freddie, Rosie and Scarlett.

What about bikes?

We have removable bike racks that fit right to the rear of the van which can carry 2 bikes. See Extras page. Let us know in advance if you're bringing bikes and we'll fit it before you get here. Don't forget to make sure your bike is covered by your insurance.

So what else should we be bringing with us?

Each van has a fridge, gas hob, (the retro vans also have a grill) electric tap/sink & electric hook up cable as well as cooking utensils, crockery, cutlery, etc. You'll need your own bedding, of course, along with pillows, towels, that kind of thing. Torches are a must - we actually recommend a smallish camping lantern or two, they're really cheap and work quite nicely to cosily illuminate a space like this. Or we can supply some of these. For anything else please see our extras page

What works on the leisure battery?

The leisure battery is charged up when you're on the move and will last for about 8 hours. It works the fridge, electric tap, ignition on the hob and interior lights. This means the vehicles main battery is never used for these bits and pieces. We recommend that you plug into a campsite's electrical hook-up to keep it charged overnight. The electric sockets and the heater only work off the mains hook up.

Any idea about any good campsites, that kind of thing?

Glad you asked! Check out our links page for some essentials you'll need to look at to get the most out of your camper van holiday. It also includes information about the kind of amazing holiday activities you might get up to in a VW camper van, to provide a little fuel for your imagination.


VW Camper Hire
Unit M Studio
West Quay Road

SO15 1GZ
Feefo Reviews Feefo Reviews
VW Camper Hire has an average rating of out of 5, based on customer review(s)